Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Saturday, December 16, 2017

The Strictly Final Press Conference

It's Thursday. The fab four finalists are on stage at the BBC Radio Theatre about to be interviewed by the ghost of Strictly past, Ore Oduba (he joked that as host of the official podcast and upcoming tour, he's "the boy that never let go").

Gemma and Joe look pretty relaxed on stage when they first come out. Alexandra fiddles with one of the sequins on her jumper. Debbie picks at her fingernails. But the conversation soon flows and everyone relaxes.

The warmth between the couples is palpable. Any suggestion that any of the finalists don't get on seems ridiculous. Gemma shares a sweet moment from early on: "On Week 1, Debbie & Giovanni got us all a little tiny glitterball cup with a straw in it saying 'we're all winners regardless', and we all are."

Ore asks the pros about when they saw the potential in their celebrities. Gorka explains that putting in the hours in training is more important than any existing ability: "You can be the most talented person, but if you don't work, and you don't really want to do it, it's very hard. All of them [the celebrities] have the patience and the love to be on the show. That's what makes our job easier."

For Giovanni, her knew he was on to a winner when he saw how bendy Debbie was: "I said to her, 'Can you split?' She said 'I think I can'. 'Let me see'. She did a kick, and I was like 'Wow, this is going to be amazing. Thank you so much! I am going to have the best time of my life with you. Happy days. I saw the other ones - beautiful, pretty - but I've got Flexi McGee!"

Ore asks the celebrities if they see themselves as roll models. Debbie says: "I get stopped all the time, every day, and it's a fantastic feeling that because someone has watched me on Strictly that I've made their life happier, and I've made to want them do more for themselves - go to the gym, or start dancing. It's been an incredible experience the fact that I've inspired so many people, and I wasn't expecting that.

Gemma doesn't like the tag 'role model', but her story is similar: "I love training and going to the gym, and I'm not your petite dancer's physique - I'm broad, I'm tall - and everyone said to me 'There's no way you'll be able to do it, you're too muscular' or 'You're too much of a tomboy'. I love the fact that women who do boxing or weight training and who don't like wearing dresses and don't like the spray tans have said to me 'I want to try and do some dancing because you do it'."

Alexandra hopes her time on the show can inspire others to find happiness in difficult times: "The feedback I have got online is more about whatever you're going through in life you find a good outcome. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel. I had the opportunity to take a step back and say to myself 'Maybe I'm not ready to do the show mentally', but actually I've surprised myself. I'm not going to say everything has been rosy, I've had ups and downs, but I have done something that has brought me such joy. So if I can inspire someone else to do what they love in the toughest of times in their life, then that's what I'm here for."

I personally identify with this. My dancing friends and I often talk about what a great escape a dance class is. No matter what is going on in life, for a couple of hours you can break away into a special world of music and movement. It sounds lame, but it's true.

Joe: "I certainly don't feel like a role model at all. In fact, I don't really feel like a celebrity, to be honest. Whenever they say 'We need the celebs'. 'Oh, that's me isn't it?' I'm just an actor. I think that if I were to inspire people perhaps it would be that if you want to do something just put the work in, and get your head down and get on with it, and don't take the easy way out. I hope that that's the thing that people look at me and maybe see - that if you apply yourself, and if you have a fantastic Russian partner you can do pretty much anything."

Unsurprisingly, the celebrities and pros remain very tight lipped about the content of their showdances.

Joe tells us that "There's some dancing in it". Katya is willing to expand a little, explaining that they have focused on storytelling, as that was something they got positive comments about.

Aljaž jokes "Gemma choreographed a beautiful routine." He goes on to say that it shows their journey, and Gemma's improvement.

Giovanni admits there will be lots of lifts "just because we didn't do a lot on this series. And some more splits. Why not?". He says it will be elegant.

Gorka's routine will be be like a old movie, fun and fast with a lot of tricks. "He literally has me leaping across the dancefloor the whole time", explains Alexandra.

When asked about pre-show rituals, Gemma tells a funny story. Here's a clip, as they is no way I could convey the story myself. 


They won't talk about what it would mean to raise the glitterball. They all just claim what an achievement is has been to make it to the final. But Gemma jokingly interjects at the end "But vote Gemma & Aljaž, yeah?".

We'll find out who will lift the glitterball tonight with Tess & Claudia from 6.30pm on BBC One.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home