Strictly Come Blogging

Louise. Lou. Loulabelle. Loulabelle44. Louby. loulabelle44@outlook.com.
Proudly blogging about Strictly Come Dancing ALL YEAR ROUND since 2006. Always spoiler-free.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Brendan Let Go From Strictly

Brendan Cole has not been invited back to Strictly Come Dancing this autumn.

The dancer broke the news yesterday on Lorraine, explaining that it was an editorial decision, although he's not completely sure of the exact reason why.



In in emotional interview, he said: "I've been very lucky. I've had 15 incredible years, not many people can say that." 

He wasn't ready to give up just yet, though. "I've always said that as long as I've got a passion for it, I want to be there. And my passion is still very much there. I'll miss being a part of the team. I'll miss being a Strictly dancer."

Following his somewhat contemplative exit interview back in October, there was much speculation that Brendan was ready to hang up his Cuban heels, but it's clear from his words and demeanour on Lorraine that he is gutted by the news.

I have always enjoyed seeing Brendan on Strictly. With the right partners - Natasha, Lisa, Kelly, Sophie - he has put in some magical routines. And it's been a delight to watch him grow up and mature into the caring family man he has become.

This also begs another question. What about Anton?

I always felt like Anton and Brendan were kindred spirits. The old guard, who take little pops at each other, but work hard to keep up with the ever-younger pros around them. I always pondered that Anton might give up if ever Brendan did, because would the job be as much fun without a partner in crime?

It will be interesting to see what other changes will be made for the upcoming series. They have a new celebrity booker, so will the kind of celebrities approached be changing?

Watch this space.

To mourn Brendan's departure, here are a couple of my favourite Brendan routines. I actually wanted to include his paso with Sarah Manners, but sadly there are no YouTube clips.

Here is his Viennese waltz with Kelly Brook:



And his Charleston with Sophie Ellis-Bextor:



And, of course, no Brendan look-back would be complete without the 'Bacofoil' routine (aka Lisa & Brendan's showdance). He got a lot of stick for it, but I still respect what he was trying to do with this routine, even if it wasn't quite executed in the way he might have had in his head:



Thank you, Brendan, for your passion, your backchat, your choreography and the entertainment you have given us for the past fifteen series.

I am very sorry to know that my 'This girl' klaxon is falling silent forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home